A Mentor can be a major resource for you and your family. Mentors promote self-determination and self-advocacy through various methods of assistance such as providing experiences, instruction, guidance, decision making, modeling, role-playing, and advising. Our Mentors will work directly with you, your family and your friends to connect you to natural supports and the general services and supports available to everyone living in your community.
Mentorship Services may Include:
- Promotion of self-advocacy
- Assistance in interviewing potential providers
- Understanding complicated health and safety issues
- Assistance with participation on private and public boards, advisory groups and commissions
- Training in child and infant care for parent(s) who themselves have a developmental disability
- Assistance with coordinating your SLS Services with other specialized services in the community